Board Volunteer Opportunities
Since 1934, the UCLA Alumni Association’s mission has been to enrich the lives of alumni and offer ways to engage in UCLA’s future. With a connection to over 500,000 other alumni across the globe, we’re your channel for networking, giving back, engaging and pushing each other forward.
As the Alumni Association Board of Directors, our purpose is to empower and partner with the Alumni Association as they exist as a conduit, a resource and an advocate to advance the interests of UCLA and its nearly half-a-million living alumni. More so than ever, it is critical for the Board to work in partnership with the Association to push the boundaries of what is possible when it comes to engagement and support for all Bruins. We are in a pivotal season of innovation, opportunity and possibility.
The UCLA Alumni Association is seeking passionate Bruins who can bring their expertise, strategy, thought-leadership and optimism to help drive this vision forward. Applications are now available for volunteer board leadership positions for members of the Board of Directors and Alumni Representatives to select campus boards. To submit an online application, please click here. If you have any questions or for more information about involvement opportunities and upcoming recruitment timelines, please contact Andrea Sork at email@example.com.
Individuals may self nominate or nominate another Bruin. All applicants must be UCLA degree or certificate holders. Strong candidates should demonstrate notable or significant achievement in business, education, and/or public service with the following attributes/qualifications:
- Involvement with UCLA
- Management and leadership experience
- Skilled and diverse background
- Innovation and optimism
- Integrity and professionalism
- Commitment and availability
- Skill sets and areas of expertise: marketing, technology, engagement experience, intra/entrepreneurship, board experience, financial management, creative skills/arts, diversity and inclusion
The following leadership opportunities are available for terms beginning July 1, 2022 (descriptions included in the application):
- Alumni Board of Directors (Director; Officer positions of General Counsel, Secretary, and Treasurer)
- Alumni Representative, Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC)
- Alumni Representative, John Wooden Center Board of Governors
The application deadline is on March 1, 2022. Following the review process by the Governance and Nominations Committee, select candidates will be invited for interviews to be scheduled on Saturday, May 14 and Sunday, May 15. Recommended candidates will be forwarded to the Alumni Association Board of Directors for election in June 2022. Thank you for your interest in supporting UCLA and the UCLA Alumni Association!
Alumni Board Member Roles & Responsibilities (including philanthropic support of UCLA) are shared below.
Alumni Association Board Member Roles & Responsibilities, including Financial Commitment (“Give/Get”) – Developed and Approved by the Board
As volunteer leaders at UCLA, the UCLA Alumni Association Board of Directors is committed to representing UCLA’s world class stature and nurturing an environment where diverse perspectives and all Board members can meaningfully and productively contribute. Board members truly embrace UCLA’s Principles of Community and True Blue Bruin Values, as upheld by members of UCLA’s expansive community. Upholding these roles and responsibilities are minimal requirements for re-election eligibility.
- Uphold the University’s True Bruin Values and Principles of Community.
- Uphold the needs of the organization above personal needs/desires/gains and taking care not to bring harm to the organization or create a conflict of interest between oneself and the organization; recognize that the Board holds assets for the benefit of the constituencies that they serve; acknowledge that any benefits provided to Board members are not transferrable.
- Act in the best interest of the organization and excuse themselves from discussions and votes where a conflict of interest exists or may exist.
- Represent the Association’s work and values to the community in an engaged and informed manner.
- Collaborate in good faith with other Board members and staff as partners towards achievement of organization goals.
- Attend (each fiscal year) a minimum of three Board meetings, the annual retreat, and at least half of the committee meetings on which they are appointed; serve on at least one Board standing committee and one task force/advisory/ad hoc/workgroup; attend at least three alumni engagement activities (including virtual) throughout the fiscal year; and serve as a volunteer with the scholarship application process or with the Alumni Scholars Club.
- Donate at least $1,000 each fiscal year, directing the donation to the Alumni Association Support Fund. The gift may be a personal donation and/or donations made in your honor. $500 of the $1,000 minimum donation may be in the form of “gift in kind” or additional donations made in your honor. Financial commitment for Board members 0 to four years post-graduation is $250 or more annually; Board members five to nine years post-graduation is $500 or more annually.
- Stay informed about organization activities, initiatives, and priorities; read provided communications. Prepare in advance for upcoming meetings including reviewing materials; participate fully during meeting discussions including the offering of meaningful comments and questions; focus on strategy, mission, vision and goal setting; and take full responsibility and accept accountability for decision-making on goals, issues, policies and other Board matters.
- Encourage alumni to volunteer and direct them to the appropriate staff.
- Contribute financially to an Alumni Scholarship at a level that is personally meaningful.
- Encourage philanthropy among alumni and others toward UCLA and advocacy for UCLA and public higher education.
- Identify financial corporate resources, sponsorships, and partnerships for the organization.