Student Finance



Money matters. The financial resources to assist you and your Bruin are at your fingertips. From Financial Aid to BruinBill, any question you have about finances at UCLA can be answered through this section.


FERPA/3rd Party Access

Because of FERPA regulations, parents are not automatically granted access to student information. However, for those who still want to access their student’s information, such as grades, BruinBill, and more, these families can receive Third Party Access from their student. For more information on Third Party Access click here.


All students are assigned a BruinBill account which records all charges and payments associated with registration (e.g. quarterly tuition and fees), along with other service charges (e.g. health insurance, Summer Session, housing, parking and even ASUCLA textbooks) that are assessed to students. Students must pay all charges in full by the 20th of the month following the posting date of the charge. Click here to see fee details.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

The mission of the UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships office is to help remove financial barriers and to assist students in meeting the rising cost of attendance at UCLA. The office will assist students in completing their application for financial aid, determining the level of need and offering financial aid to meet educational expenses. For information such as filling out the FAFSA, Summer Aid and the types of financial aid available to your student, click here.

Financial Wellness Program

The mission of UCLA’s Financial Wellness Program is to empower Bruins to confidently navigate their finances in a way that supports their overall well-being. This program fosters financial literacy skills through workshops, individualized coaching and online educational efforts. Additionally, the office aims to encourage students to know who, when, and why to ask for help. Overall, the program centralizes and advocates for student economic support services on campus.


The BruinCard is the passport to life at UCLA. It serves as a debit card, a residence hall access card, a meal card, library card and much more. Click above for more information on the services offered by the BruinCard center, including a list of vendors that accept the BruinCard.

Financial Aid and Scholarships


The financial resources to assist you and your Bruin are at your fingertips. Review the basics of funding your students education below and peruse the FATV library for financial aid answers 24/7. FATV provides quick video answers to common financial aid questions. Click on the image to the right to go to the full video library.


All students are eligible to apply for financial aid. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office (FAO) is available to assist students and families with the cost of attending UCLA. FAO is located in room A-129J on the A Level of Murphy Hall and contact information can be found here.

Please note that your student’s financial and academic records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The Financial Aid Office cannot release any information to a third party (including a parent) without the student’s permission. Access to financial records and information can be provided to parents or family members with Third Party Access. For more information on FERPA and steps to create Third Party Access, click here.

On MyUCLA under the “Financial” tab students may access their financial aid information, track document status, view the Electronic Financial Aid Notification (eFan) and submit summer aid applications. Note: a UCLA Logon ID and password are required.

FAFSA & Dream Act

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that families must complete annually to determine their eligibility for Federal Financial Aid, and it is also used by the UCLA Financial Aid Office to determine a family’s financial aid package on campus, which may include potential scholarships, grants, work-study and loans.

The California Dream Act application allows students enrolled in eligible California Colleges, Universities and Career Education programs to apply for state financial aid.

Your student should file a FAFSA or California Dream Act application each year in order to be considered for financial aid. All students may be eligible for some form of financial aid. March 2 is the deadline for priority filing each year; students who file by this date will be considered for maximum eligibility.

The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) figure is not an actual amount that you and your Bruin will be billed for and have to pay. It is an approximation of how much your Bruin and you may have to contribute throughout an academic year to cover your educational expenses. For more information, click here.

Types of Aid


  • Scholarships are need or merit-based awards that do not have to be repaid after graduation
  • Entering students will be considered for scholarships based on the information provided on the application for admission
  • Need-based scholarship processing is available once per year for continuing UCLA students from January 1 through March 2; the online application is located on the scholarship website
  • Scholarship Resource Center: For information about available restricted, merit-based and need-based scholarships, students should visit the Scholarship Resource Center


  • Grants are need-based awards that do not need to be repaid after graduation
  • Students may receive federal or state grants. For more information on Cal Grants, click here.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

  • Students who qualify for Federal Work-Study can work up to 20 hours per week and earn money for college costs through part-time employment in an on or off-campus job. For information on eligibility and applying for Work-Study positions, click here.


  • Both parents and students can qualify for federal loans through the Direct Loan Program — there is a wide variety of loans with different interest rates and policies
  • For more information about loans, click here.

Blue + Gold Opportunity Plan

  • UC’s Blue + Gold Opportunity Plan will cover educational and student services fees for California residents whose families earn less than $80,000 per year and qualify for financial aid. Blue + Gold students with sufficient financial need can qualify for even more grant aid to help reduce the cost of attending. For more information, visit the Blue + Gold Opportunity Plan online

Mailing a Check

Please make checks payable to “UC Regents”, include the student’s name, nine-digit university identification number, and the BruinBill account type (i.e. Registration Fees & Campus Charges, Housing, or Transportation) on the payment, and mail them to:

Payment Solutions & Compliance Office
University of California Los Angeles
Box 957089, 1125 Murphy Hall
405 Hilgard Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7089

Payment processing can take up to four weeks and will be applied to the BruinBill account. If received before payments are due, students will be billed for fees less the amount of the scholarship. If the scholarship covers more than anticipated fees, or fees have already been paid, a check will be issued to the student via BruinDirect.

Summer Aid

In addition to completing the FAFSA, students must also complete the online Summer Financial Aid Application. The application is available on the Financial Aid Office home page beginning April 1 (note MyUCLA login is required). The priority deadline for submitting the summer application is April 30 to be considered for all types of aid.




The financial resources to assist you and your Bruin are at your fingertips.

Click to jump:

  1. Paying Tuition
  2. Bruin Pay Plan
  3. Payment Deadlines
  4. Fee Breakdown
  5. Late Payments
  6. Establishing Residency
  7. Health Fees

Paying Tuition & Fees

All students are assigned a BruinBill account which records all charges and payments associated with registration, housing and transportation, as well as other service charges like health insurance that are assessed to students. Your student’s BruinBill is available to manage nearly 24/7; they just login to MyUCLA and click on BruinBill Accounts.

Fees are assessed monthly via BruinBill and payment is due on the 20th of the month following the posting date of the charge. If the 20th falls on a weekend or a holiday, the due date is the last business day prior to the 20th.

Each month, your Bruin will receive an automated e-Bill reminder to a designated email account (selected via the Settings section of MyUCLA).

If you are paying your student’s BruinBill account, you and your Bruin must set up Third-Party Access. Click here for more information on setting up this account. When creating a Third-Party Access account, your student can select which options to which they will permit access. Once you log in as a parent, you will also be able to elect to receive monthly e-Bill reminders.

  • Once logged in to MyUCLA, click BruinBill Accounts (BAR) under the Financial section.
  • Press Continue after reading important e-Bill notices.
  • Here, you will see the BruinBill homepage.
  • Payment can be made online, by check, or in person at 1125 Murphy Hall.

For any questions about fee payment, contact Student Financial Services at (310) 825-9194 or Ask SFS.
**Note that specific, personal information about your child’s account may be restricted via email or over the phone if your student has not granted you Third-Party Access.

Bruin Pay Plan

  • UCLA’s BruinPay Plan (BPP) allows students and families to divide tuition and fee payments for each term among monthly installments.
  • The BPP does not carry over into an additional term; you will have to enroll each term you would like to participate. When the enrollment period begins, all qualified students will be given the BPP enrollment button as an option in their BruinBill.
  • The first installment and a non-refundable administrative fee are required at the time of enrollment.
  • Payments to the BPP are restricted to e-Check transactions through automatic deductions from a checking account. These deductions will automatically occur each month on the 20th.
  • Students who do not have a checking account, may enroll in a “cash only” BPP at the Administrative Main Cashiers Office (1125 Murphy Hall).
  • At the end of each month, the current unpaid balance, which includes any new charges posted to your account, will be calculated. This amount will be split over the remaining monthly payments. Adjustments, such as reversals or financial aid payments, posted to your account prior to the monthly e-Check payment, will reduce the amount deducted.

Limitations to enrollment

  • If you wish to participate in the BPP, your previous term balance must be zero.
  • You may not enroll in BPP if you have three or more returned checks.
  • You may not enroll if you have sufficient financial aid to fully cover your fees, or have received a deferral for the current term.
  • The BPP does not carry over into additional terms. You will have to enroll each term in order to participate.
  • Due to short-term loan contractual due date requirements, students with unpaid short-term loans cannot participate in the BPP.

Payment Deadlines

Tuition and fee deadlines for the academic year:

  • September 20
  • December 20
  • March 20

Additionally, other fees such as the per-unit Instructional Enhancement Fee assessed after the fourth week of the quarter for College and Engineering students, Housing fees, and health-related charges will be posted throughout the quarter and also must be paid in full by the 20th of the month following the posting date of the charge. 

Fee Breakdown

A breakdown of your student’s charges are available on the BruinBill each quarter, and here online.

For full descriptions of each fee, such as the Student Services Fee, Educational Fee and Course Materials Fee, click here.

Late Payments

UCLA will automatically drop a student’s courses if payment is not received on time. This can have both short-term and long-term consequences.

Establishing Residency

Students who are not permanent residents of California pay nonresident supplemental tuition in addition to fees assessed to all students. For a full description of what constitutes resident status,click here.

Visit the Registrar’s Office online for detailed information about establishing residence for tuition purposes.

Health Fees

Students who have an alternate health care provider may waive SHIP either quarterly or annually and will therefore see a deduction for this amount on the quarterly BruinBill. Click here for details on how to waive SHIP.

For questions about paying for or waiving SHIP, call the Arthur Ashe Student Health Center at (310) 825-4073, and select option 4.

Bruin Card


The UCLA BruinCard serves as your student’s identification card, gym pass, library card, meal card, building access card and allows your student to pay for laundry in the residence halls. Additionally, many Bruins and families use the BruinCard as a convenient debit card for purchases on campus and from various vendors in the community.

Parents and students can deposit money on the BruinCard using machines stationed across campus or online. Many parents use the BruinCard to track a student’s spending on campus, for books, school supplies, food, etc. Additionally, students appreciate the ease of a single swipe, instead of carrying cash or additional debit or credit cards (and without overdraft fees!).

Funds can be deposited as Easy Pay, allowing purchases wherever the BruinCard is accepted, or Food Only, restricting usage of the funds for food purchase at on-campus restaurants only. NOTE: Cash on the BruinCard will remain on the card until six months after graduation. To close your student’s BruinCard debit account and request a refund of any remaining balance, please fill out a refund request form.

Visit BruinCard online with any questions, or call at (310) 825-2336. The on-campus BruinCard office for students is located at 123 Kerckhoff Hall.

Financial Wellness Program


Veteran & Military Families


The UCLA Veteran Resource Center provides caring and personalized support to military-connected students (active-duty, reservist, National Guard, veteran, child/partner/spouse/ dependent of a veteran/active-duty service member). We help our military-connected students’ succeed academically at UCLA by providing peer advising, tutoring resources, scholarships, employment opportunities and career development support, graduate school preparation support, guidance on educational benefits and financial support/resources, and community building and social activities.

Additionally, if you served in the United States Armed Forces, your child may be eligible for financial support (free tuition, book and supplies funding, housing allowance, or a stipend) towards their education costs at UCLA. The UCLA Veteran Resource Center is your students’ first stop to find out how to get connected to campus and all of the services we provide to our military-connected student community.

For more information about education benefits/financial support that veterans or veteran dependents might be eligible for, please reach out to Deana Garay (VA Staff Member assigned to UCLA) at

For more information about the services that UCLA provides to the military-connected community, please reach out to and visit our website.

To submit documents that you have received from the VA or Cal Vet to UCLA, please complete this form.

California Veteran Fee Waiver

Eligibility: There are four plans under which dependents of Veterans may be eligible for this tuition waiver benefit.

Plan A:

  • The unmarried child of a Veteran who is totally disabled due to service-connected disabilities or whose death was officially rated as service-connected is eligible. The child must be over 14 years old and under 27 years old to be eligible. If the child is a Veteran, then the age limit is extended to age 30;
  • The spouse of a wartime Veteran who has been rated as service-connected totally disabled is eligible. There are no age limit restrictions;
  • The unmarried surviving spouse of a wartime Veteran whose death has been rated as service-connected is eligible. There are no age limit restrictions;
  • Any dependent of any Veteran who has been declared missing in action, captured in the line of duty by hostile forces, or forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power is eligible.
  • The Veteran must have served at least one day of active duty during a period of war as declared by the U.S. Congress, or during any time in which the Veteran was awarded a campaign or expeditionary medal. Concurrent receipt of benefits under Plan A and VA Chapter 35 benefits is prohibited. To receive benefits under Plan A, a dependent must sign an “Election To Receive College Waiver Benefits” statement acknowledging this fact. There are no income restrictions under this plan. To be eligible, the event which caused basic entitlement to benefits (i.e., the date the Veteran died of service-connected causes or the date the military or United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) rated the Veteran as totally disabled as a result of service-connected disabilities) must have occurred prior to the child’s 21st birthday.

Plan B:

  • The child of a Veteran who has a service-connected disability, or had a service-connected disability at the time of death, or died of service-related causes is eligible. The child’s annual income, which includes the child’s adjusted gross income, plus the value of support provided by a parent, may not exceed the annual income limit. The current academic year entitlement is based upon the previous calendar year’s annual income. Under Plan B, wartime service is not required and there are no specific age requirements. Children are the only dependents eligible under this plan. There is no prohibition against receiving concurrent VA Chapter 35 benefits.

Plan C:

  • Any dependent of any member of the California National Guard, who in the line of duty while on active service to the state, was killed, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in active service to the state, or is permanently disabled as a result of an event that occurred while in the service to the state is eligible. Surviving spouses who have not remarried are also eligible.
  • “Active service to the state,” for the purpose of this benefit, means a member of the California National Guard activated pursuant to Section 146 of the Military and Veterans Code. A copy of those orders pursuant to Section 146, not Section 143, must be furnished to establish eligibility.

Plan D:

  • Medal of Honor recipients and children of Medal of Honor recipients under the age of 27 may qualify. Benefits under Plan D are limited to undergraduate studies only, and applicants are subject to both income and age restrictions. There is no prohibition against receiving concurrent VA Chapter 35 benefits.

Duration of benefits: This is dependent on which plan you qualify under. See the descriptions above for more information.

Maximum month of benefits: This benefit can be used for most undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools at UCLA. A list of the programs that this benefit cannot be used for (called self-supporting programs) can be found here.
How payments are made:

  • Tuition (paid to the school): This benefit waives the mandatory system-wide tuition at UCLA.
  • This benefit does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board.

Application: Download an application, then go to your local County Veterans Service Office with the completed application and appropriate supporting documents.

Important Note: All applicants must meet UCLA’s California residency requirements.

For more information, please visit the California Veteran College Fee Waiver website.

Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Eligibility: An individual must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces;
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence;
  • A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force;
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power;
  • A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.

Duration of benefits:

  • For Children: May use benefits between ages 18 and 26 (there may be exceptions).
  • For Spouses: 20 years from the service member’s date of death if they died on active duty, or 10 years from the date we determine they qualify or from the Veteran’s date of death (there may be exceptions).

Maximum months of benefits: 45 months

How payments are made: The VA pays the monthly amount directly to the student. The current monthly payment for full-time training is $1,224.

Application: The application is available online here.

For more information, please visit the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)

Eligibility: children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

Duration of benefits:

  • For Children: Qualify as of their 18th birthday, and can use this benefit until their 33rd birthday.
  • For Spouses: 15 years from the service member’s date of death (but spouses lose this benefit if they remarry).

Maximum months of benefits: 36 months

How payments are made:

  • Tuition and fee payment (paid to the school): The VA covers the full in-state tuition costs for training at UCLA.
  • Money for books and supplies (paid to the student): The VA cover up to $1,000 a year, divided up equally among the terms, for books and supplies.
  • Monthly housing allowance (paid to the student): The VA base this amount on the local Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for E-5 with dependents and pay it monthly. Currently, this amount is ~$3000 per month

Application: The application is available online here.

For more information about the program, please visit the Fry Scholarship website.

Boxed_WhiteType_Alumni cog user CLOSE MENU