Gold Shield is an honorary organization of UCLA alumnae who are acknowledged leaders seeking to make impactful contributions to the University. Celebrating our 85th Anniversary in 2021, the accomplished women of Gold Shield have supported important projects at UCLA throughout their history. While alumnae accept membership in Gold Shield as an expression of commitment to UCLA, they soon recognize that this commitment extends to each individual member. By working together, we enrich UCLA – and one another.
Numbering nearly 150 members today, Gold Shield has provided significant support to UCLA since its inception and currently holds assets of more than $4 million in the UCLA Foundation. Important contributions have included:
- More than $2 million to the UCLA Alumni Scholarship Program, providing financial support and mentoring to more than 900 scholars since 1939
- A $700,000 endowment for the annual Gold Shield Faculty Prize and funding to document the history of UCLA
- Substantial monetary support for Graduate Fellowships, the Oral History Program, the University Archives, and the Library Collection Endowment
- Over $100,000 in funding and countless hours of volunteer support to document and publish the newest history, UCLA: The First Century
- Seed money for the BEST project through the Office of Equity, Inclusion and Diversity
- Support for UCLA’s “Spring Sing” with the Gold Shield Alumnae Esprit de Corps Award for Best Overall Participation